Twitter permits anyone to send you a Direct Message whether you follow them or not. This may be helpful at times but more often than not it ends up filling your DM’s with spam as most of the consumers have setup automated DM’s. With the time, it will become annoying as you’re more likely to find a lot of message notifications and on top of that losing your important conversations from the plethora of other useless messages. In order to stop people from direct messaging you on Twitter, there’s a setting contained on your account. Within this tutorial, we share that setting accessible iOS/Android app and on the website which will allow you to disable Direct Messages on Twitter.
Switch Off Direct Chat on Twitter Profile From App
If you are using this article on your smartphone you can stick to this strategy otherwise you may skip to another one.
The steps and screenshots I have used here come from the iOS app but the process is still the same for Android app with little changes.
Launch the Twitter app on your smartphone and tap on Me to go to your own profile display.
- Under your own profile tap on the cog icon next to your profile picture.
- Select Settings and privacy from the list of options.
- On the next screen tap on Privacy and safety.
In Privacy and safety toggle Receive Direct Messages from anyone switch to OFF.
Tap on Done at the top right corner to store the modifications.
As soon as you switch off the aforementioned setting the conversation option will disappear from your profile for those users you don’t follow. This means that the customers that you do not follow will not be able to direct message.
Now, let’s take a look at the steps for the Twitter website.
Disable Direct Messages on Twitter Profile From Website
- Visit Twitter website and then login in case you haven’t already.
- Click on your profile picture on top and choose Privacy and Settings.
- Next click on Privacy and safety on the left sidebar.
- Scroll down until you visit Direct Messages section. Once you are there assessing Receive Direct Messages from anyone option.
- Lastly, scroll to the bottom and click Save changes.
Input your Twitter password again click Save changes.
We trust you had the ability to disable direct messages on Twitter. If you found this guide useful then please discuss it on social media.
If you face any issues then please tell us in the comments below.